Monday, March 28, 2016

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (Spoilers)

Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. Despite their difference, Achilles befriends the shamed prince, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine, their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of  Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess.

But when word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped, Achilles must go to war in distant Troy and fulfill his destiny. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus goes with him, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.

Review:

This book, man. I finished it in five and a half hours, including breaks. I just...love it so much. I have so much to say and no idea how to put it into coherent sentences.

I thought the beginning of the story to the end was brilliant at showing character development most of all, in my opinion. The foreshadowing was pretty good at well. You could just tell that something was coming, even when you had no clue what it was. I thought it was amazing how the prose painted a perfect picture of what was going on in my head. I could almost see Achilles rage as Patroclus was slayed.

I didn't see the twists and turns coming, and I love how it wasn't instant love. The romance didn't overpower the action and the hardships, and the side characters were very well developed and all served a purpose.

The only thing I didn't like was how....yeah, I can't think of anything I didn't like. This book was amazing, please read it.

5/5 stars.

-Books and Trust,
Pixie Dust~


No comments:

Post a Comment